Do I Need A HEPA Filter Vacuum?
First you need a decent vacuum, however you do not need to run out and spend several thousand dollars to get a good vacuum cleaner. Usually $200-$500 will get you a good quality vacuum with HEPA filters. HEPA stands for high-efficiency particulate air, and YES it worth it. HEPA Filters trap the microscopic particles that would otherwise be forced out of the vacuum exhaust. These tiny particles can cause allergies and other health problems, however by using a HEPA filter you trap the harmful particles and improve the indoor air quality for residents in your home.
Now that you have a good vacuum… use it frequently! How often depends on the number of people in the house, kids, pets, and weather or not anyone is an allergy sufferer. Anywhere from once a week to everyday, but for most homes every few days is acceptable.
A Few Quick Vacuum Tips
- Start with a new bag – A bag that is even half full will greatly reduce the suction and not remove as much from the carpeting.
- Move slowly – Especially when you are pulling the vacuum back toward yourself. The brush roll is agitating the carpet and loosening up debris while sucking them up.
- Overlap by 50% – Overlap each pass over the last one by about 50% to remove as much as possible.
- Pick up small items before your start – to save time, walk around and pick up small items and furniture before you begin.
- Use the hose and crevice tool – a lot of dust and dander can settle around the edges so use your crevice tool to vacuum the edges each time you vacuum.
A professional carpet cleaner should pre vacuum the carpet before beginning. Doing so will remove much of the dry soil, dust, and allergens in the first step. If you are looking for a professional carpet cleaner in Northern VA try us out.